Wednesday Night Mexican Club

Twenty-somethings in Dallas eat Tex-Mex around town every Wednesday and write about their exploits to raise local queso awareness.

Thursday, September 28, 2006

9/11/2006: Buja Gali Falls Cafe, Jinja, Uganda

While my friends were back in the States exploring the best Mexican karate establishments in East Dallas, I was on the prowl for the best Tex-Mex in East Africa. Well, not really, but after riding in a canoe down a stretch of the Nile River, Beth and I were dragged to a riverside cafe whose name I cannot remember. Our caretaker Pasco ordered some chips & guac for us and we sat under a miniature hut and stared at the river while waiting. When our food came, I was apprehensive--yellow guacamole? Is this shit some rancid African stew? But Beth assured me that the color is due to the avocados being ripe and fresh, so I dove in. Yow. It's amazing how the quality of avocados changes the flavor--this was a particularly sweet guacamole, but not overpowering, and the blend of tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and chili powder was pretty intense. Sometimes, guac can get old after eating it for a while--a relatively flavorless mush once you get used to the flavor--but this stuff stayed tasty and lively, not mushy, until the very last bite. If you're ever in Jinja...

1 Comments:

At 12:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The restaurant is called The Source Cafe and you're not raving enough about the awesome guac. If I recall correctly, you literally licked the plate clean when you ran out of chapathi chips.

-B-

 

Post a Comment

<< Home